Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:09:05 EST
In a message dated 12/16/1999 4:39:39 PM EST, sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The OM-1 is already a classic, there are many favourable references to it
>  both on the 'net and in print. IMHO it all boils down to the use you have
>  for it. If it is a better tool for the job (eg astrophotography) than an AF
>  wonderbrick, then it will be considered better in that context. If it suits
>  you, then use it and be happy.

The original poster asserted (dreamed?) that our OMs will be still "viable"
in 30 years. Hell, there won't be any spare parts long before then, and so we
won't be able to use them. In 30 years we ain't gonna be able to "use them
and be happy". Look at all the requests for info from the list on "how to fix
this jam" and "my OM-2 is doing this or not doing that, is it dead?" They're
breaking down NOW. They are a terrific piece of photographic equipment, but
they won't last forever. In 30 years they'll be about 60 years old (the
earliest of the bunch, at least). When was the last time you saw someone
walking down the street shooting street scenes or at an auto race shooting
away with a 60 year old camera??!! Get real, everyone. Our OMs are getting
OLD. WE'RE getting old! (Well, at least all of us with the exception of Acer).

Regards,
George S. ( Ken's grumpiness must have been contagious)