RE: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297
From: "BJ Nicholls" <bjnicholls@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:38:42 -0700
Hi Doug,

Not so much disturbing as amusing. There are valid artistic reasons to
explore any process, no matter how messy and obnoxious. I used to do stone
lithography, so I know what retro methodology can do for your working
creative process. That doesn't make stone lithography intrinsically better
than direct-to-plate digital offset printing, however. And real Tri X grain
isn't intrinsically better than grain that is created in Photoshop. If a
process leads you to exciting creative adventures, by all means be retro or
hypertechnological... whatever works for you.

All to often, though, these arguments end up as philosophical tempests in a
teapot about what medium is more honest, human, or "real". I spent too many
days and nights smelling acetic acid in a poster-portrait studio to have any
inclination to try better living through chemistry... but that's just me.
Okay, disco IS disturbing...

Best,

BJ