[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1296

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1296
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:47:07 -0800 (PST)
========================
I think we discussed this once before.  Though manufacturers do support
their product for X years after it's discontinued, I  don't believe they are
forced by law to do it.

My belief is that they are required by law in the US to support a given
product for 10 years after it was sold in the US.  So, if I bought a new
OM-4T in 1990, they would not be required to support my instance of the
camera past 2000, but if the camera is still on the market today, they have
to support the ones sold today for 10 years, hence parts will be available
for that long.   They are not required to supply new parts, but refurbished
ones being supplied will meet the letter of the law as I believe it to be.

Joseph