[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1289

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1289
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:32:18 -0800 (PST)
Now I'm really confused. If you're replacing that $20 filter so
often, wouldn't you rather be scratching and wearing out the coatings
on those filters than your lens?

filters wear out from the glass loosening in the ring and the threads
getting tiny bends from mounting and unmounting.  over time, the plane
of the glass shifts slightly from being perfectly perpendicular to the
lens axis.  This will cause the lens to lose its sharp focus and soften
the image.  Thus, I replace frequently used filters about every 3 years.
I currently own 14 lenses across 3 systems, and 3 of those are mamiya TLr
lenses with in fact two optical lenses on each mounted lens assembly.
That's about $150/yr to support UV filters on the front of my lenses.
And even a brand new Uv filter on the front degrades quality, even
a high end one.

Joseph