Re: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm

Subject: Re: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm
From: GMA <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:33:36 -0800
Barry, Joseph;

Yes, I was going to mention the below test result qualifiers too.  But
there's something else.  Joseph said:

"2. the 65-200/4 is a fine lens, but the focal length adjustment
cylinder is
   fully extended to focus at 200mm, making the lens a bit front heavy
   the point that I felt this lens would be well served by having a
tripod
   mount."

This is not correct.  The cylinder is all the way back to the mount when
zoomed to 200mm.

and:

"  the vivitar 70-210 has the same cylinder retracted close to the
   camera at 210mm, so at the higher magnifications (200mm) where
vibrations
   are more of a problem, the center of gravity is closer to the
camera.  "

So they are at least equal.

and:

"   This is a small thing, but it makes the lens handle much more
comfortably
   on a tripod.  Also the Vivitar lens supports close focus at all focal
   lengths in the zoom range, instead of just at 65mm like the Zuiko
zoom."

This also is not correct.  The 65-200 has macro only at 200mm, providing
great working distance.  And, the cylinder is as above, right at the
mount.

and:

"   I use the Vivitar zoom for closeups (sometimes with a Nikon 5T
closeup
   lens on the front) set at 210mm when I need working distance for a
   closeup shot.  The 65-200/4 Zuiko is clearly inferior for this type
of
   shot as a result."

Not true for reasons detailed above.  What 65-200 were you using Joseph?
What other reasons do you have to prefer the Vivitar?  I'm ready! :>)

Oh, one more point.  I owned a Vivitar 70-210 zoom.  It literally fell
apart in my hands one day. (Bring a spare, Joseph). I replaced the
Vivitar with the 65-200 about 16 years ago. It's hit the ground from
heights of 3-4 ft 3 times and it's still working fine in all respects.
How's your Vivitars' build quality and toughness?

George