Re: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm

Subject: Re: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:33:58 -0800
Joseph,

Thanks for zoom lens comparison. Not being a zoom lens user my self, I can
understand the choice of the Vivitar Series 1 70--210mm f/3.5. I took a few
shots with this lens using a friends Canon EF body on a backpacking trip
several years ago. I Was particularly impressed with the quality and
hand-holdability of the lens in close focus mode. The Vivitar Series 1
90/2.5 is also nice from that series. At its time of introduction in the
late 70's the 90/2.5 of the sharpest 35mm SLR lenses.

At 08:34 PM 12/9/99 -0800, you wrote:

>I just looked at Gary Reese's evaluation of the 200/5 Zuiko, both
>single-coated and multicoated.  I used to own a multicoated one and I
>concur with Gary's data that this is not a good lens, as I suggested
>previously.  His data also describes the single-coated version as having
>moderately low contrast.  Although I haven't owned this (SC) version, if this
>is correct, then I'd consider it to be a mediocre lens as well.
>
>I have owned the following lenses available for OM mount that reach 200mm,
>along with a couple zooms that only reach 150mm:
>
>Olympus: 200/4 (MC, 2 samples), 200/5 (MC, 1 sample), 100-200/5 (MC, 1
sample),
>         65-200/4 (MC, 1 sample), 75-150/4 (SC, 1 sample)
>
>Tamron: 200/3.5 (1 sample), 70-210/3.5-4 (1 sample)
>
>Vivitar: 70-210/3.5 Series 1 (MC, 67mm filter threads, 1 sample),
>         70-210/3.5 Series 1 (MC, 62mm filter threads, 1 sample),
>       70-150/3.8 (MC, close-focus version, 1 sample)
>       200/3 Series 1 (1 sample).
>
>Some were mediocre in quality, some were too heavy or difficult to handle
for
>consistently sharp pix (on or off tripod), but I was generally never fully
>satisfied with many of them.  The ones I kept and liked the best are:
>
>Vivitar: 70-210/3.5 Series 1 (62mm filter threads)
>         70-150/3.8
>
>Runners up were the 200/4 Zuiko and 65-200/4 Zuiko, and Vivitar 200/3.  All
>of these are fine lenses, but I preferred the vivitar 70-210 for the
following
>reasons:
>
>1. the 200/4 isn't enough sharper at 200mm or lighter weight than the
>   70-210/3.5 (62mm filters) to give up the convenience of a zoom.  It takes
>   a careful look to see the difference between these two lenses shot at
>   200mm and f/4.  I'd give the edge to the 200/4 for corner sharpness and
>   contrast, but they are pretty close.  the 200/4 is more flare-resistant
>   also.  I was satisfied with the 200/4, but the 70-210/3.5 vivitar
>   (62mm filters) is much lighter and more compact than a 200/4 plus 135/2.8
>   that it replaced (and less expensive to boot).
>
>2. the 65-200/4 is a fine lens, but the focal length adjustment cylinder is
>   fully extended to focus at 200mm, making the lens a bit front heavy to
>   the point that I felt this lens would be well served by having a tripod
>   mount.  the vivitar 70-210 has the same cylinder retracted close to the
>   camera at 210mm, so at the higher magnifications (200mm) where vibrations
>   are more of a problem, the center of gravity is closer to the camera.
>   This is a small thing, but it makes the lens handle much more comfortably
>   on a tripod.  Also the Vivitar lens supports close focus at all focal
>   lengths in the zoom range, instead of just at 65mm like the Zuiko zoom.
>   I use the Vivitar zoom for closeups (sometimes with a Nikon 5T closeup
>   lens on the front) set at 210mm when I need working distance for a
> [...]
Kurt Hurley IDS 2000 Product Marketing Manager
Schlumberger T&T - Diagnostic Systems
1601 Technology Drive San Jose CA 95110
email khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PH 408-437-5156  FAX 408-437-9031 PG 408-699-4587