Re: [OM] Photos of the moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos of the moon
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 21:30:04 -0600

Mike Rosenlof wrote:
To show up as more than a tiny spot, you need a really long lens.  600 is

> probably the minimum if you really want a moon photo.  The moon is a
> sunlight object so f/16 at 1/ASA seconds is a good exposure.  However the
> moon usually looks brighter than it really is, so opening up one stop from
> this works well.
>
> This could also be a good opportunity to take photos by moonlight.  This is
> obviously a long exposure, but the quality of light is very different than
> during the day.

There is another alternative. Buy a telescope that can also be used as a
telephoto lens. I own a Celestron 80mm refractor scope that also happenst to be
a 400mm f/5 telephoto lens. Using only a T-Ring, this telescope becomes a 400mm
f/5 telephoto.

 However, for close-up shots of the moon, you can use a T-Ring and eyepiece
holder along with an eyepiece.

With an eyepiece, that 400mm f/5 lens then becomes a 15X telescope with a
camera attached to it. With the right eyepieces, you can get maganifications of
over 80X. The moon is sufficiently bright that exposures need not be long, just
a second or two.

--
jim mueller