Re: [OM] Photos of the moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos of the moon
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:19:42 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Mike Rosenlof wrote:

:(Dirk Wright)
:>so, which lens do we use for photographing the moon? 300mm? 200mm?
:>600mm? I've never shot the moon before.,....... <g>
:
:To show up as more than a tiny spot, you need a really long lens.  600 is
:probably the minimum if you really want a moon photo.  The moon is a
:sunlight object so f/16 at 1/ASA seconds is a good exposure.  However the
:moon usually looks brighter than it really is, so opening up one stop from
:this works well.

For full moon, yes; for any other phase, exposures vary as I learned from
Michael Covington's book. See http://www.convingtoninnovations.com/
2000mm will fill a 35mm frame top to bottom.

:This could also be a good opportunity to take photos by moonlight.  This is
:obviously a long exposure, but the quality of light is very different than
:during the day.

I guess this would depend on film and processing. Mike Stoez, for example,
took a moonlit photo for ADITL2
(http://www.whitneygallery.com/Olympus2/html/aditl2_27.html>
but there's a color shift. That was exposed for ~5mins on
Superia200@f/1.4. I exposed for ~7.25min on Superia400@f/4 with no color
shift (http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/LOONYF4.JPG). See
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/experiments.html for details.

Anyhow, I do plan to do another loony shot if I've bought another camera
body by then....

/AV
--
webpage under re-organization; "We apologize for the inconvenience" -Adams