Re: [OM] Filter Questions!!?!

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Questions!!?!
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:27:11 -0600
> I use the filters mainly to protect all that Zuiko glass.
>
>But do these filters, no matter how prestine, detract from the image
>quality? What do you pros do? Do you shoot without Skylight, UV, etc.
>filters?

Rarely do I ever use filters of any kind on my lenses.  I find that, unless
you get a MC type, the flare potential is too great.  As with polorizers,
I've gotten strange colorizations in "sparkles" and other highlights.  In
my usage, I've never really noticed any loss of sharpness with
filters--except with wide-angle lenses at the edges.  Mostly what I've
noticed is a loss of shadow detail.

When shooting around children, I might put a skylight on to keep grotty
fingers away from the front element.  I will also put a skylight on when
shooting from a boat to keep spray off the lens too.

Best protection for your lens isn't a filter, but big fat rubber
lens-shade.  Besides, if it's big enough it makes you look like a real pro
with much more expensive equipment than you really have.

Ken sans-filters Norton