Re: [OM] Filter Questions!!?!

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Questions!!?!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:12:43 +0000
At 02:47 12/8/99 , you wrote:
>Besides all the nice used Zuiko lenses I've been buying, I also buy
>*only* used Tiffen and Hoya Skylight, and other filters types, for about
>5 bucks at a local camera shop.

I do the same thing . . . except browse the bin for pristine used B+W's or
Heliopan's which are made with Schott glass and have sturdier rings.
Normally a bit more than the standard $5 used filter.

>But do these filters, no matter how prestine, detract from the image
>quality? What do you pros do? Do you shoot without Skylight, UV, etc.
>filters?

Answer:  Yes.  Any additional glass and additional air-glass interfaces
between subject and film plane takes something out of the light
transmission (reducing contrast).  It also increases risk of flare
particularly with backlit subjects, shooting into the sun or shooting into
a bright light source (or the reflection of one).

Other factors (including film choice, subject composition and lens quality)
will generally influence these effects more than a filter will.  Whether
one should *always* have a Skylight or UV on a lens is debatable.
Controversy will likely *always* surround them.  Purists after every last
possible photon of light transmission will not use them unless necessary;
others who want to protect lens objectives with something less costly than
a lens repair or new lens will.

>What's the difference between Hoya Skylight (0) and (1B)?
UV and/or Haze:  Filters higher end ultra-violet and is color neutral.
Skylight 1A:  Similar to UV with slight warming.
Skylight 1B:  Same as 1A but warmer.

Never seen a Skylight "0" but have seen UV(0) and Haze(0) filters.

Skylight filters are intended for color correction when indirect daylight
reflected from blue sky or overcast is on the subject . . . but not direct
sunlight.  Someone using transparency film and projecting originals might
be concerned with this.  However, users of color negative will find the
print processors tweaking color balance when making prints more than the
slight warming effects of a skylight!  Using one for some, but not all of a
film roll can throw a mediocre print process operator off!  They balance
things from the first frame or two, then put the machine on "rock-n-roll"
for the rest.  I've had this happen!  Since I shoot a lot of transparency
for projection I have these filters but use them very rarely.  They just
haven't made that much improvement for me in looking at transparencies shot
under skylight conditions with them versus without them.

-- John