Re: [OM] XA/XA2

Subject: Re: [OM] XA/XA2
From: k.berry@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 19:05:09 +0000

Zone129@xxxxxxx (Carl Turner) wrote:

>...The XA is actually
> identical to the Minox 35 as far as its control capability and frankly, much
> easier to use than the Minox.

I still have my XA (a bit sick) and my Minox 35GL, both of which I
bought new. The XA has a rangefinder but no way to assess depth of field
without a set of tables, while the Minox has no rangefinder (not really
essential for a 35mm lens) but a really usable DOF scale. It also has a
cable release socket that is absent on the XA, but no self timer which
the XA does have.
Neither have 'proper' neck strap lugs - you just clip a bit of string on
the back hinge of the XA and are forced to buy the e.r.case for the
Minox to fit a strap to.
The Minox has a one stop backlight switch and the XA has a 1.5 stop
boost.
You can only use a specially designed flashgun on the XA but any hot
shoe flashgun on the Minox (though most look enormous on there!)
Both are battery dependant and the XA uses a pair of SR44s while the
Minox needs one difficult to find mercury PX27 or you have to buy an
adapter for it.
Both have prolonged auto exposure that is mostly lacking in modern
compact auto cameras. The differences in the pictures from both are
insignificant.
I can't say that I like either of them all that much - I would would
probably have preferred the Minox if I hadn't had so much trouble with
it in its first few months, totally destroying my previous respect for E
Leitz (Instruments), the importers, while the XA was totally reliable
until recently. After buying an Olympus 35RC I used neither of them very
often - despite the absence of a DOF scale, the user friendliness of the
35RC made the extra weight and bulk well worth putting up with.

Regards,
Keith Berry