[OM] Ebay

Subject: [OM] Ebay
From: "LARS BUNDESEN" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:03:53 +0100
My mail the other day about this guy selling a collection on ebay with an
opening bid of 3000 $ seems to have started quite a debate on this mail
list.

I have bought quite a few items from ebay, but very little Olympus (my OM 3
being one of those items).
The problem is that with anything more valuable than about 100 $ (I'm not
quite sure about the limit) I have to pay 10 customs and 25 % value added
tax, so in most cases it is not worth it to get things through ebay.
Another problem is that most auctions close during the night here, so I've
been outbid during my sleep many times, even if I was the high bidder when
I went to bed.

Of course there is a risk buying through ebay, because you can't inspect
the items beforehand. The problem here in Denmark is that it is getting
harder and harder to find the rare Zuiko lenses, both in shops and through
the recycler magazine. And I think this situation is the same in many other
countries, at least the smaller ones.

I'm glad that there is a chance getting lenses etc. through this mail list
also. I hope to get the 35 mm shift from Richard in Germany in a few days.
I haven't seen one of these for sale here for years, so I am glad to be the
first person to answer his mail and thus get the chance to get this lens.

Lars Bundesen