RE: [OM] focussing aid/screen Q

Subject: RE: [OM] focussing aid/screen Q
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:34:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Windrim, Brian wrote:

> The thing that I don't underestand is this:
>
> Olympus makes focussing screens (1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-12) that have *no* matte
> portion,
> i.e. there should only be an aerial image. How come you don't see the edge
> of the rear
> element, as you would with *no* screen installed in the camera?

The short answer is that you *do* see a severe fall-off of intensity at
the corners.  At least, you do with a 1-7 and a 500 F8 mirror - it
becomes very obvious if you move your eye from the centre of the
viewfinder window.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |