Re: [OM] cold weather & OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] cold weather & OM's
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:46:27 +0100

Jim Mueller wrote:
-----
It will be interesting to see how the OM-1 does this January.
-----

Several years ago, when I lived in Germany, I took out the OM-1 (didn't own a 2n
back then) into the cold winter for several hours. Temperature was about -15C
and it was windy. Didn't have any clue about low temperatures and battery
performance.

Canera worked better than I did. My fingers went numb, but the OM-1 kept on
shooting. Also the meter must have been correct, because exposure was allright.
Took some shots of deer which I liked at the time but am not satisfied with
anymore. This has nothing to do with camera performance however.

After returning home the camera and lenses stayed fogged for almost two hours!

I think the coldes my OM2n has ever been was about -10C in the winter in
Netherlands. and Austria. Also there no complaints about functioning. Only once
had a problem with cold film. Thas was when I used a winder on my OM2n.

BTW, I have taken my both bodies about everywhere one can imagine. As an
apprentice engineer I have been to HOT places like kuwait and the rest of the
persian gulf. Temperatures in the engine room could reach as much as 70C. Camera
functions fine, but is too hot to handle.

If you have ever read the OM4Ti crash-test I translated a few years ago You will
know that also the OM4Ti can wthstand considerable cold conditions. I know it is
still online buit can't remember where. If interested I will find it for you.

So, Just go out in the cold and trust your OM's

Wiliam