[OM] Tripod mount for my new 300

Subject: [OM] Tripod mount for my new 300
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 06:38:44 -0500
Dave Bulger asked:

>Question:  The tripod ring has a red dot on one side of the ring mount.  Is
>that red dot supposed to point towards or away from the camera?

The red dot points toward the camera.  Look on the underside of the
mounting foot and you should find a shallow recess containing a diagram
of camera/lens with an arrow indicating proper orientation.  If you
follow the diagram the red dot will point toward the camera.  Or, looked
at another way, the tension knob that allows rotation of the lens inside
the ring should be on your left when you are behind the camera.

I haven't tried turning the ring around to see why orientation makes a
difference but suspect that you woudn't be able to mount the lens if the
ring was turned the wrong way.  If you hold the ring sideways you'll
note that the protrusion of the foot to either side is not symmetrical.
With the dot away from the camera, the long side of the foot would
extend beyond the mounting flange.  My assumption is that it would
strike the body and you wouldn't be able to mount the lens.

I also assume that the tension knob is on the left so as to minimize any
interference with fingers working on the right side of the camera with
DOF preview, mirror lock or self-timer.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA