Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 24mm on ebay #item #197564741

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 24mm on ebay #item #197564741
From: Tmoynihan@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:32:39 EST
I'm not sure Dirk's actions qualify as a "lark".  From what I understand of
eBay, if Dirk is the high bidder, he is obligated to complete the
transaction.  If Dirk is not the high bidder, he has no obligation to stand
in if the high bidder does not carry through.  He was just an "also ran" at
that point.  If he and the seller wish to negotiate a price, or seller offers
it to Number 2, and he accepts, then that is fine, but it is not strictly an
eBay transaction at that point, just an accommodation worked out between a
buyer and a seller.

Giving Dirk the benefit of the doubt, which I think he deserves, I read his
post as meaning that, had he been the high bidder, he would have carried
through, and gone deeper in debt (ouch!), since he was cash-short.  Since he
was the second-place bidder, he had no obligation to purchase the item, and
decided it would be too much fun to incur more debt.  But he was considerate
enough to ask if any of us felt the price was attractive enought to get it
ourselves.  Anyway, that's how I interpret the eBay rules.  Other opinions?

Regards,

Tom Moynihan
Dallas, TX