[OM] Scanners & film

Subject: [OM] Scanners & film
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:48:16 -0800
Garth & Joel,

I agree that both Provia and Velvia shot in close to optimal conditions
will scan reasonably well on an desktop ccd scanner, however, shoot
either in an interior with uneven/mixed lighting and shadows or at night
with mixed lighting (normally used in and around modern buildings) and
you will see where these films (especially the newer Provia) will go
nuts on a ccd scanner.  Where as ES100 will scan with much more correct
colors.  The original Provia emulsions (about 4 or 5 years ago) were
much easier to scan.  I used to scan medium format Provia on a UMAX
1200S desktop in 1994 and it worked quite well for evenly lit shoots.
However the ES100 or most Ektachromes will scan much more easily on
these inexpensive scanners.  My comment is designed to help those who
are having trouble with these scanners.  It seemed like there are many
complaining about their results with these scanners.  I think using a
more standard emulsion which was targeted by the software developers
will always give better result, everything else being equal.  Normally
one should not have to rely on Photoshop or any other editor to correct
color.  These scanners are capable of give very good and consistent
color if used properly.  I'm just suggesting that one try to use the
most standard emulsion if they are not getting good results before
trashing their scanner.  Even the best ccd scanners are really very
limited when compared to a PMT (drum) scanner.  Many of the emulsions
were really designed to be scanned on a PMT scanner and were never
expected to be scanned on a ccd. I see that most hobbyist photograhers
make these mistakes when using the wrong films with these ccd scanners.
My personal belief is that most of these scanners just work much better
with negative films rather than chromes.

Phillip Franklin