Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Cold batteries & OMs
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:57:04 -0500
Dave Bulger wrote:

> All,
>
> There's been lots of discussion re batteries, cold, and non-functioning
> camera meters due the the combination.  Being in Austin, TX, my concept of
> cold is 45F, which ain't much!
>
> I'm tripping to Utah in a few weeks and I'm a little concerned about the
> temps and my meter readings.  I'm going to be taking (among others) a -2s
> and a -4, using the -2s to meter with (I'm most familiar with it) and the
> -4 to actually expose film.  I may have to expose a roll through the -2s
> just to listen to the sexy shutter, however.  <g>
>
> Projected temps are 25F (night) to 50F+ (days) in Zion, with temps being
> considerably colder in Bryce Canyon.
>
> Assuming I keep batteries in my jeans pocket until I'm ready to use 'em,
> how long are they gonna be in the camera until they're too cold to work
> correctly?  And will they give progressively incorrect readings or will
> they just stop working?  And are the projected temps quoted above cold
> enough to worry about?
>
> I'm not relishing putting the batteries in the camera every time I want to
> take a shot...
>
> TIA!
>
> Dave

If I hadn't spent some time in Austin during January and February I
might have thought you were kidding.  I live in Northern Ohio and our
winters are somewhat less warm than yours in Austin.....

My experiences in Northern Ohio in January and February with my OM-1 and
2 were that the batteries worked fine way below the 25F you are talking
about.  IMHO you will have no problems.  I never had any here.

Bob
"Hoping to get back to Austin someday....."

Bob

--
                   //////
                  ( 0 0 )