Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:01:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Emil Pozar wrote:

> I've also found a light "streaking" much frustrating. Most my "arty"
> shots are contrasty and dark thus almost impossible to scan (magenta
> polluted blacks).
>
> I wonder if more expensive scanners suffer from the same problem?

Yes, I'm afraid they do.  My Nikon LS20 does (and is apparently noted
for it).  I'm sure more recent scanners do better though.

It's due to dark current noise in the light detector, apparently.  You
can see a similar effect in the highlights of overexposed negatives when
you try to bring them down.

http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/tech/filmscan/

has some interesting tests & background info on a range of film
scanners.  His main objection to the LS10 seems to be the parallel port
interface rather than any optical defect.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |