Re: [OM] scanners for dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] scanners for dummies
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:17:02 -0500
Dirk Wright wrote:

> Um, I have a dummy type question: which is better, flatbed or film type
> scanner? Why? The flatbeds are really low price now, the film types are more
> expensive. Is the added cost proportional to any added quality?
> --
> Be OS!
>
> Dirk Wright

What do you want to scan?  Flatbeds are reflective devices.  The light
shines on the item being scanned and the reflected light is read and
made into the digital image which is then twice removed from the film.

Film scanners read the film and are capable of much better digital
images because the info they get is directly from the film.  The digital
image is then the first generation image from the film.

If you are scanning a photo on a flatbed you are at the mercy of the
printer and sometimes the printed image is not as sharp as the image on
the film.

If you are serious about digital image from film, a film scanner is the
way to go.

Bob
--
                   //////