Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner
From: George A <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:10:53 -0800
Ron & Dave;

I wish I had some help for you, but I'm really just learning about
producing the best quality scans myself.  I do know that shadow detail
is the biggest problem with scanning, especially for lower 'DMax'
scanners.  4.0 dmax is the practical best and is what the 5-figure drum
scanners achieve. My Polaroid is 3.4 or 3.6 depending on whom you
believe. I haven't really challenged it yet.  The ES-10 I've heard is
3.2 (which is quite good for it's price range), but Olympus would not
verify any spec for this when I asked them via their tech supp e-mail.
Don't forget that dmax is logarithmic, so 4.0 is not 'just a bit better'
than 3.2 but is actually about 7 or 8 times better than 3.2

George