[OM] aurora borealis vs. tekken 3

Subject: [OM] aurora borealis vs. tekken 3
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:36:13 -0500
With the semester drawing nearer to its end out here at MIT, my
free time for photography has been somewhat limited.  It's a good
thing I'm taking a photo class this term or I'd only have shot
a couple of rolls over the last three months.

To cope with the sleepless nights of coding and circuit board
layout, we here at MIT spend a lot of time wandering the internet
looking for sources of amusement.  When the porn gets boring,
then the humor becomes interesting.  The Onion (www.theonion.com)
is one source of humor, news story parodies in particular.

With all of the recent discussion of the Leonids and previous
threads about astrophotography and atmospheric effects, this little
story about the aurora borealis seemed particularly cute.

www.theonion.com/onion3542/aurora_tekken3.html

I actually find the aurora borealis (or australis if you're one
of *those* people... :-) ) to be somewhat interesting.  I come from
Indiana, too far south to ever really see the effect, so I haven't
ever experienced it first-hand.  Someday, maybe.  Anyone out there
have any first-hand photographs of either aurora?  I'm sure there
are plenty of images to be found on the net, but it's always more
interesting to see a photograph taken by someone about whom you have
some background knowledge.  :-)

joey

ps, I apologize if you object to getting a message over this list
directing you to a non-photo-related web link, but I thought it would
be of amusement to many on the list, and I am genuinely interested
in seeing this effect through the eyes of any list members who may
have been so lucky as to have seen the phenomenon first-hand.