Re: [OM] Voigtlander VS Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] Voigtlander VS Zuiko
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:27:58 +0000
At 00:17 11/10/99 , John Hudson wrote:
>I bought my daughter a chrome Rolleiflex SL35 in 1994. Sturdy
>lightweight body with Rollei 50 / 1.4 lens. Nice sharp photos. How is
>this model related to the SL35E, SL35M and SL35ME and how would I tell
>if the SL35 is really a Rollei or a Voigtlander?

This is all part of the tangle at the end of Voigtlander, Zeiss Ikon
absorbing it, then the end of Zeiss Ikon and Rollei absorbing them.
Following is what I've been able to piece together about the Icarex, SL706,
SL35[x], and VSL[#] over time as I have an interest in the Zeiss Ikon and
Rollei SLR's. Information about them on the web seems scant.  (Corrections
are most welcome.)

Short answer:  The SL35 is an original Rollei design.  Lens if marked
"Rollei" is likely a Zeiss made by Rollei under license.  If marked
"Rolleinar" most of these were made by Mamiya for Rollei.

Long answer about lineage of all the models:

-- Rollei heritage --
SL35    Rollei design
SL35E   Rollei design and follow-on to the SL35
VSL3    SL35E with Voigtlander name badge; made by Rollei

-- Zeiss Ikon / Voigtlander heritage --
Icarex  Zeiss Ikon prism-less SLR based on Voightlander designs
        (the Ultron and Skopar lenses are pure Voigtlander)
SL706   Zeiss Ikon redesign of the Icarex with prism and meter
SL35M   Rollei model number for essentially an SL706
VSL1    SL35M with Voigtlander name badge; made by Rollei
SL35ME  Successor to the SL35M; Rollei evolution of the SL35M
VSL2    SL35ME with Voigtlander name badge; made by Rollei

-- SL35[x] and VSL[#] Lenses in order of general value--
"Carl Zeiss"    Carl Zeiss, Stuttgart
"Rollei"        Carl Zeiss design; Rollei manufacture
                (equal to the "Carl Zeiss" in quality)
"Schneider"     Designed and made by Schneider-Kreuznach
                (close second to the Carl Zeiss/Rollei in quality)
"Rolleinar"     Most were manufactured by Mamiya for Rollei
                (some[?] Rolleinar Zooms were Tokina[?])
"Voigtlander"   Most made by various Japanese firms for the VSL[#]
                (Original lens names [Ultron, Skopar, etc.]
                are likely real Voigtlander)

Note:  If a lens is marked "Rollei" followed by a lens type name, Rollei
was one of the few manufacturers allowed to use the Carl Zeiss lens names
under license.  Look for names such as Tessar, Sonnar, Planar, Biogon, etc.
on them.  These *are* Carl Zeiss lens designs made by Rollei and just as
good as the ones *made* by Carl Zeiss.  Supposedly Carl Zeiss kept an eye
on Rollei under these licenses to ensure the quality levels were kept high
since the names were Carl Zeiss trademarks.  Schneider-Kreuznach is an
unsung hero among superb German lens makers and is reknowned today for
Cinema and projection lenses, and as maker of B+W filters.

>Back in the early 80s during trip to the UK I bought a Voigtlander
>Vitomatic II w/ 50 / 2.8 color skopar lens for 40 UKP. That really does
>take sharp photos!

It is a *true* (designed by) Voigtlander camera and a fine one!
Voigtlander was one of the unsung heroes of German camera making.  In 35mm
format during the 1950's through the very early 1960's (zenith of the
rangefinder) if one couldn't afford a Zeiss Ikon or Leica, a number of
Voigtlander models weren't far behind them in quality.

-- John