[OM] Oly body + teleconverter questions

Subject: [OM] Oly body + teleconverter questions
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 22:19:57 +1100
Ranjan Ghosal wrote:

> Have been thinking getting about an OM-2n or an OM-PC
> from KEH.  I would be glad to hear from you about the pros/cons of these two
> bodies.

OM-2N
   + 97% viewfinder
   + very robust. Common, so lots of wrecks around for spares.
   - detachable hot shoes are a consumable if you use shoe flash
   - lacks mirror prefire on self-timer (vibration with macro shots)
   + comes in chrome
   +- has a swing needle
   - no spot meter (surely this bothers you?)
   + has an off switch and no annoying timeout on the meter
   + compensation dial can be worked with right hand fingers
   - no exposure lock
   - no multiple exposure
   - slower flash synch than your OM-2000, pathetic in fact

OM-40
   no idea, never used one.

> I was considering the OM-2s, but it seems like it won't let you use
> center-weighted metering in manual mode (is that true?).

True, but not actually a problem. I know this isn't obvious
if you've only ever used a fully manual camera, because I
had the same objection coming from the OM-1.

Auto is always better than manual because you get stepless speeds.
If you're using centre-weighted metering, you use the compensation
dial if the scene integrates to other than 18 0rey. This dial
is very handy on the OM-2N and OM-2SP. You probably already
know that most scenes *are* 18 0rey. The dial is also used for
TTL flash and reciprocity failure.

You only need manual if your scene is atypical or if you
want to set a keytone (i.e., incident reading) and shoot
with it for a while. Both these things involve a spot reading,
except for the very rare case where all you have is dappled
light (as with some of our landscapes up/down here). In that
case, you can start in auto centre-weighted mode, read the
shutter speed from the viewfinder, switch to manual/spot,
and set that speed ignoring the meter.

The real drawback of the OM-2SP is the slower motor drive rate,
due to the provision of the program mode. 3.5 fps is still
respectable though.

> [teleconverters not] recommended for use with zooms

Teleconverters don't work well even with the very best zooms.