[OM] Oly body + teleconverter questions

Subject: [OM] Oly body + teleconverter questions
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 04:51:49 EST
<< I just joined the list, though I have been going through the list archives
for some weeks now.  I have to say I have learned a lot by going through all
your postings. >>

Welcome, we are glad you said Hi.  Try the FAQ, also, at:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/
then choose Photography

<< I have had an OM2000 for a little over a year now and am ready for another
Oly body.  Have been thinking getting about an OM-2n or an OM-PC from KEH. >>

Why would you limit yourself to just one source?

<<  I was considering the OM-2s, but it seems like it won't let you use
center-weighted metering in manual mode (is that true?). >>

It only spot meters in manual mode.

<< Another factor is that the OM-PC seems to be pretty hard to come by these
days. >>

If you mean from KEH, it is harder to get many items from them.  Their
overall inventory is on the decline in the advent of many more options now
available for owners to sell their own gear.  Just compare the listings in an
old catalog to their real-time online inventory.

There are about 4 OM-2S's to every 3 OM-PC's - not too much of a difference.

<< How does one ensure that a 15-year-old camera will keep going another 15?

You can't if you use it a lot.  I wouldn't even count on it.  I've been
through 4 bodies since 1976.

<< My second question is about teleconverters- how much do they affect
picture quality >>

The comparative results of virtually every Olympus recommended combination is
posted at:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

Keep in mind that the OM-1 tests were subject to more vibration that the
OM-2000 or OM-4(T) tests.

<< and typically how many f-stops does one lose? >>

Which teleconverter?  The 1.4X loses 1 stop.  The 2X loses 2 stops.

<< The Oly 2X-A doesn't appear to be recommended for use with zooms. >>

Just get a longer zoom for nearly the same money.

<< Does Vivitar make good teleconverters  >>

Vivitar never made a lens, although few Americans realize that.  They are a
marketing company that sells rebranded lenses and it is often difficult to
know the origin unless you match it physically to another brand.  Kiron was
most often the match.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas. NV