RE: [OM] Zuiko 35-80mm f2.8 Zoom - Front barrel wobble?

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko 35-80mm f2.8 Zoom - Front barrel wobble?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:54:22 +0100
Hi Chip,

> Anyone know anything about wobble in the frontmost barrel of this lens? I
> have one that seems to have about 0.5 mm of play in it, and have heard
> second-hand reports that this much and more play is common in these
> lenses.

While I unfortunately don't have this lens, and the thing was made by
Olympus rather than Microsloth, I would doubt it's a "feature", but rather
assume it's a "bug" ;)

I have had two lenses which had the same "bug", and it could be easily
"debugged" by tightening the lens-info ring. Again, I don't own the lens in
question, but I assume it has the same front construction as the other
Zuikos, so that would be a good starting point. One piece of advise though:
if you're going to do this operation yourself, make sure your "debug tool"
doesn't shoot out over the lens, otherwise you'll soon find yourself
convicted by the Zuiko court, and you can join me on my penitentiary trip to
Siberia I earned for chipping off a small piece of the 2nd element of my
300/4.5 :(((

Cheers and good luck!
Olafo