[OM] ADITL format and categories

Subject: [OM] ADITL format and categories
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:38:59 +1100
Hi Olaf & list
I like all the different suggestions for ADITL categories, but like some others
feel that it is getting away from the original ADITL concept (though I've yet to
be able to take part in one due to lack of a decent scanner, this hasn't stopped
me getting out there and taking the shots, so it's still been a useful exercise
for me).
The problem with providing tight restrictions as to the nature of the picture is
that we will end up with an overly similar collection of pictures each time
ADITL is held. Even though macro is one of my favourite styles, a whole page of
macro could be a tad tedious.
For those reasons I think it would be good to keep ADITL as a real "day in the
life", and perhaps conjure up a _separate_ event along the themes line. I am
thinking of something like an informal competition (no prizes of course) with
the additional object being that all submitters should include an example of
each category (or maybe a minimum of 8/12) in their submission. Something like
the gallery, but a bit more structured and with amicable competition to drive it
on. For HTML geeks it shouldn't be too hard to set up a script which allows
others to vote/comment on each submission. Such an event could be held maybe
once a year or 6 monthly.
Broad restrictions such as f=50mm or B&W are still OK for ADITL I think, because
they allow a huge variety of different styles to show through, and force people
to "think different[ly!]" while levelling the playing field for those of us who
don't own expensive glass. An interval of 3 months, with ADITL after the first,
would also get my vote, allowing ample time for processing and scanning.
Dylan