Re: [OM] OM Flash stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Flash stuff
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:50:41 +1100
> While taking pics of the kids in costumes last night with my OM2s and a
T20,
> I noticed that the "exposure successful" light both in the viewfinder and
on
> the back of the flash would only sometimes indicate that the exposure was
> good -- other times it would not do it's rapid flash thing.  I tried this
in
> Program, Auto and Spot/Manual modes, with the T20 in both "Full Control"
and
> Auto modes.  I got no "exposure successful" light on anything but T20 Auto
> mode @ f8 and the OM2s in program mode.

I find OTF flash useless in general flash photography of people. The
background is a fair distance away, the foreground is close. The flash OTF
control is no spot, so the result is an average result. It tries to make the
distant background light, and gives full flash. The foreground (the person)
is then washed out and overexposed. I think you should under expose 2 stops.

The exception is when people are just in front of the background, something
for the flash to bounce off.

I use manual in these situtations (when I remember!)

Also, the "select any aperture and let the camera control it" as a marketing
ploy is wrong. You are still governed by the guide number. So with 100 ASA,
the T32 will correctly expose at 1 meter at f32, 1.45 meters at f22, 2
meters at f16 etc. If you are closer than this, the camera will turn off the
flash in time (except very close macro with wide apertures - rarely done).
If you are further away, you need a bigger flash or larger aperture.

Foxy