Re: [OM] filters, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] filters, again.
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:54:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Dirk Wright wrote:

> What do you people use for filters? screw-in or gelatin or Cokin?

  Screw-in. Have used gelatin in the past with 4x5, have a set of Cokins
Lying on a shelf unused for years. I prefer glass.

> multi-coated or not?

  Yes, MC.

> I'm wanting to get an 81A and an 81C(KR3) in some
> format. I'm guessing that gel filters are too delicate for outdoor use?

   One can use them perfectly well, but they can be clumsier at times.

> How important is multi-coating for the filter?

  Enough to justify the expense.

> Also, anyone use B+W or Heliopan filters? are they worth the 500remium over
> Tiffen filters?

   I use and own many B&W and Tiffen filters. I can't detect any
difference but the confidence factor, and that is significant enough to
justify the price. After all, I am putting them in front of Olympus
lenses, and jeopardizing that last erg of image quality whenever I add a
filter.
   I always use lens shades, only use filters as visualized or in really
extreme conditions.
 The B&Ws tend to get stuck more often, but that may just be me.
                                            YMMV,
                                     *= Doris Fang =*