Re: [OM] tripods, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods, again.
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:36:55 -0500
At 08:53 AM 10/25/1999, Dirk you wrote:
>Tripods. gotta have them, hate to haul them. I hate my tiltall, I want
>something else. I'm thinking of a nice ball head, maybe Bogen. What was the
>conclusion to the last tripod discussion? I wasn't paying attention to
>well, what with all the SUV stuff flying around back then. I can't afford
>Gitzo. I saw a Slik grand master at the store, it looked a whole lot better
>than their usual cheap stuff. I have tentatively selected a Bogen 3021 base
>and a 3055 HD ball head. That's about 175$ all together. Anyone have better
>bang for the buck?

I have a 3221 (black version of 3021 I think) and the Bogen grip ball head.
I've also got a 3030 tilt-pan head.  Both heads work very well.  This 'pod
has long enough legs that I am comfortable even viewing verticals with it.
(I'm 6'2".)  The grip ball head is very fast.  The only quibble I have with
it is in getting that last fraction of precise movement one wants when
using a bubble level, etc.  The 3030 has fairly small QR plates.  This
could be viewed as less good than the big hex plates, but they seem more
than adequate to me.  You can leave them on camera bodies and tripod mounts
and they don't take up much room.

You'll have to learn to love carrying this tripod, though, because it's
heavy enough to be painful.  I guess I'm getting callouses on my shoulder
where it rests most of the time when I hike around with it; it doesn't
bother me much anymore.  I never have that feeling of dread about taking it
even for fairly casual hikes in good, bright weather;  I suppose this is
mainly because I have a couple lenses I like to use with tripod mounts.  I
do think it's very good bang for the buck.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA