Re: [OM] the (mis)adventures of Siddiq and Celeste...

Subject: Re: [OM] the (mis)adventures of Siddiq and Celeste...
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
On 24 Oct 1999, Christopher Biggs wrote:
:
:> (the last two being Tele-Vue, 32's a Plossl, whatever that means), and I
:> forget the same of this doohickey at the moment, but it shines a bulls-eye
:> type target of variable brightness onto a screen; view sky thru screen and

The 16's a Konig-II, the other two are both TeleVue Plossl

:"Illuminated reticule" ?

Telrad reflex sight...lovely device!

:> Hard part was craning my neck and bending down at various angles to view
:> the moon/planets. Killed my neck, knees, and back. Oooo.
:
:Right angle eyepiece adaptor! (or a bigger(!!) tripod)

Tripod is huge as it; L-adapter too wasn't much help...of course, I hadn't
yet set it up correctly with Polaris and all, being the impatient bugger
to get a sight first :-)

:> seems to be chromatic aberration (?) where star aren't quite perfect
:
:Reflectors don't get chromatic aberration, but a schmidt arrangement
:has a lens as well (which should be well corrected).  Chromatic
:aberration is usually the difference between a $20 eyepiece and a $400
:eyepiece.
:
:Atmospheric turbulence also bites hard, especially near cities.
:
:> points, and diffraction-type color change at edge of point
:> shimmering type thing at edge of moon, like hotair shimmer off asphalt on
:> a hot day
:
:That sounds like turbulence.   That's why Hubble (which is a modest
:telescope as such things go) kicks such serious butt.
:
:> Tomorrow, I'll go to the library and try to see if I can get nebulae
:> and/or other goodies to view.
:
:Grab some astro software off the 'net.  Most of them have a database
:of the top N nebulae and galaxies, and can show you where to look once
:you input your position and the time+date.

You forget, sir, that I don't have net access from home; at school, it's
either class or work, with little time to play. I'll pick up a couple
mags/atlases though.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
goosnargh.sig