Re: [OM] the (mis)adventures of Siddiq and Celeste...

Subject: Re: [OM] the (mis)adventures of Siddiq and Celeste...
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Oct 1999 09:58:30 +1000
Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> ...Celeste being a 2000mm f:10 Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain scope ;-)

Drool.  I have a tiny little 4-inch newtonian reflector (cheapo brand, too).

> (the last two being Tele-Vue, 32's a Plossl, whatever that means), and I
> forget the same of this doohickey at the moment, but it shines a bulls-eye
> type target of variable brightness onto a screen; view sky thru screen and

"Illuminated reticule" ?

> Hard part was craning my neck and bending down at various angles to view
> the moon/planets. Killed my neck, knees, and back. Oooo.

Right angle eyepiece adaptor! (or a bigger(!!) tripod)

> seems to be chromatic aberration (?) where star aren't quite perfect

Reflectors don't get chromatic aberration, but a schmidt arrangement
has a lens as well (which should be well corrected).  Chromatic
aberration is usually the difference between a $20 eyepiece and a $400
eyepiece.

Atmospheric turbulence also bites hard, especially near cities.

> points, and diffraction-type color change at edge of point
> shimmering type thing at edge of moon, like hotair shimmer off asphalt on
> a hot day

That sounds like turbulence.   That's why Hubble (which is a modest
telescope as such things go) kicks such serious butt.

> Tomorrow, I'll go to the library and try to see if I can get nebulae
> and/or other goodies to view.

Grab some astro software off the 'net.  Most of them have a database
of the top N nebulae and galaxies, and can show you where to look once
you input your position and the time+date.

cjb.

--
| Christopher Biggs --- Stallion Technolgoies  | One of the founding membata,|
| Evil Genius Division, Brisbane, Q, Australia | Society for Creative Pluri. |