Re: [OM] LONG - Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] LONG - Film Scanners
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:06:24 -0400
> Analogy of course is audio CD players. When they first arrived if I
> recall they were '2X' which meant either they sampled at the Nyquist
> limit or double it, not positive which. They didn't sound all that good.
> Within a year or 2, they were 8X or 16X, ie 4 and 8 times more sampling.
> They sound good.

Are you sure you're talking about audio CD players having 2x, 4x, 8x,
etc notation?  As far as I know, CDs have always been sampled at
44.1kHz (nyquist rate for 22.050 khz, reasonably beyond the range of
human hearing).  The 2X, 4X, etc, referred to the ability of data CD
readers to spin the disc at 2X, 4X, etc, the rate of audio playback,
thereby increasing data throughput off the disc.

Since the data is written to the CD at 44.1khz, any reader had better
read it back out at 44.1khz.  The difference between a good CD player
and a bad one is in the reconstruction filter which removes artifacts
from the sampling process.

Hrm, where is the OM content?  Uh, well, I am doing a project with
the Flying Karamazov Brothers and I wanted to take pictures of them
with my OM-1n but we were indoors, low-light, and I don't have a
flash, so I had to use my Minolta point and shoot.  :-(

joey