Re: [OM] Metering with variable f-stop zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering with variable f-stop zoom?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:34:41 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/99 9:48:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> >   My question is this: On the OM-3, with the lens wide-open, is the
>  > meter reading that change in light transmission and showing that on the
>  > display (so I don't have to compensate mentally)? It's reading off the
>  > sub-mirror live as I zoom, right?
>
>  Yes it is, but that is only a factor with the aperture wide open on this
> lens.
>  At f-stops of 5.6 and above, the mechanics of this zoom (Zuiko 35-105)
> maintain
>  a constant aperture as you zoom in and out.

What you need to be careful of, though, is you need to meter at the same
focal length as you use for your exposure (at least if the lens is wide
open). So no zooming in to get a narrower spot reading (again, for this lens,
and only wide open). Do most variable-aperture zooms keep fixed stops at the
higher numbers, like the Zuiko? I have a Vivitar 75-205/3.8-4.8 that I always
assumed varied at all aperture settings. I never really checked it, though.
Something else to do this weekend. <sigh>

Paul Schings