Re: [OM] soft touch shutter release?

Subject: Re: [OM] soft touch shutter release?
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:38:15 -0400
Yes, that's what I'm talking about too. The camera was designed with the
release button protected within a collar.  When you screw in an "acme"
release button extension, it raises the button above that collar and  makes
it a high point on the camera, a target.
Not recommended, AND  sofreleases were never designed to take into
consideration what affect they have on the guts of the camera.
Your OM-1 and 2 will last  longer if you don't use one.  I hate having to
tell people "there's this little lever broken off, without it, your release
button doesn't come up anymore, they don't make them anymore and it wouldn't
have broken if you hadn't used a soft release......"
Just packing a camera in a camera bag (in many cases) will put undo pressure
on the release linkages (whether or not the shutter's wound) simply because
that big button is there.
The lever that breaks is also the one that locks the release button after
the shutter's fired or before it's wound all the way.

Thats my rant for the day.  ;-)

John

Camtech, Olympus Service since 1977
21 South La., Huntington  NY 11743-4714