[OM] A new (used) OM-4T

Subject: [OM] A new (used) OM-4T
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:18:12 -0500
Oly Shooters,

I gotta share.  Over the two years or so that I've been on list, I've
always read with interest posts about the features of the OM-4T. As many of
you may know, I really love the OM-2S and my growth in photography over the
last two years has been built around this camera.  The one problem I've had
(and it's not a drawback or liability, just a threshold) is that I've
wanted to be able to take a spot reading and base a long, auto exposure on
that reading. So after mulling it over for about six months I picked up a
very nice champaign OM-4T.

I'm sure I'll have some questions and observations to share.  On first
blush, I was surprised at how beautiful the champaign finish is. I'd never
seen a picture that was terribly flattering, but I've always liked the
chrome bods, so I figured why not go with champaign, especially as they
seem to be cheaper than their black counterparts?  Very nice in its retro
splendor.

Secondly, I am very pleased with the display.  I wasn't convinced that the
display on the bottom instead of the side would suit me, but I like the way
I can raise my eye position up and look down on the display as I do my
meter business, then center my eye and see the entire frame without viewing
the display as a distraction on the bottom.  Sort of the bifocal philosophy
of viewfinder design.  Works for me.

Thirdly, I hadn't realized that spot metering was available in manual mode.
 Silly me, what was I thinking?  I knew it was available in auto, so I
guess I just assumed from my OM-2S experience that spot metering is only
really necessary in one mode.  It works great both ways.  I think I'm even
more excited about how it works in manual mode.  This will be fun.

I knew I would be pleased and impressed, and I am, but there's still a
great feeling of discovery in it. I know you've all been there at one time
or another.  I haven't mentioned in a while (or maybe ever) how significant
and stimulating this cyber-fellowship has been.  My bank account has taken
a beating as a result of it, and I couldn't be happier about it. (OK, I
could be a *little* happier about it ...)

Enjoying the feeling.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA