Re: [OM] (Fwd) OM-2 Meter

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) OM-2 Meter
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:13:26 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 7:32 PM
Subject: [OM] (Fwd) OM-2 Meter

Date:          Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:06:54 -0400
From:          JEJ <jj12161@xxxxxxxxx>
To:            owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:       OM-2 Meter

Jimmy<

 The meter should work the instant you place the switch in manual mode. On a
OM-2n , when the switch is in off  position you can see the tip of indicator
needle in the view finder on left hand side pointing down (south).

When you switch to manual there's a transparent display with the plus (+)
and (-) that should come into view.

When you set to Auto , this transparent display slides out even further
showing you the shutter speeds.

I have the OM-2n and forget what the difference between the two are.

Is this happening? if not  perhaps the transparent piece is hanging up the
meter , which would explain when you switch it from auto back to manual  why
it works.

On your flash underexposing , dosen't sound right.  Are you judging the
print or negative?.  Normally on a flash you worry about overexposure unless
of course your distance to the subject is very far away.  In other words ,
the person or thing your shooting is so far away. Unless the flash is not in
sync with the camera or not firing.

Camera should be set to Auto and flash to on , you can flip the panel on
back of the flash to where it reads fully automatic or just slide the switch
to manual , you need to remember to set the aperature to a setting that
brings your shutter speed to 1/60th or slower , if not  maybe your flash is
not firing and the subject appears to be under exposed because of back
lighting is to bright.

In any event I would run a test roll through it and document what f-stop and
shutter speed you used on each different frame. Also check to see if the
flash is synching with camera.  You can tell by the sound of camera and
watching for the flash to fire.

Last resort send it to Olympus Authorized repair center for a free
inspection and qualified advice.

Hope I was of help ,

Sam ...

I acquired an OM-2 with a Zuiko 50mm/f1.4 lens for $102 on E-Bay about
one month ago. I already had an OM1, OM2-S, and OM4-T. My question is
about the light meter in the OM-2 since I haven't asked Olympus for a
manuall as of yet. When I turn the camera on to manual the meter is
non-responsive. I have to set it to auto and then move it to manual for
the meter to function in manual. Is this some idiosyncratic occurrence
on this particular unit or is it an occurrence on all OM-2's? And if it
is just on my unit is this something I should worry about fixing anytime
soon? I just got a roll of film back and the exposures seemed fine most
of the time except for the ones used with the T-32 flash unit which came
out underexposed regardles of the aperture I used. Yes, I do have the
shoe#3 on the OM-2 to use the T-32 in TTL mode. I would appreciate any
feedback.

Thanks,

Jimmy