Re: [OM] Olympus OM2s

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM2s
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:54:39 -0500
At 01:14 PM 10/12/1999 +0100, David Low wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been given an om2s on approval. So far have only fiddled with it.
Now for an idiot
>who is used to the OM1, how can I quickly test it?.

IMO you just have to put some slide film in and shoot. With this camera the
meter that sets the exposure is separate from the meter that runs your
display (if I'm not mistaken, which I frequently am), so you can't make
absolute judgments about the OTF accuracy without actually shooting film.
Exposures made without film in the camera will be wonky because the film is
part of OTF metering track, so to speak. My understanding is that if it
works in auto it should work in program. Make sure it's working in auto
before worrying about program mode.

If you want to see whether the camera seems to be making predictable
exposures (comparing auto to manual modes), put a roll of film in the
camera and stretch the leader across the shutter chamber but don't attach
it to the sprocket.  This will allow the OTF meter to use the film to make
an accurate reading.  See if one second on auto sounds about like one
second on manual.  This is a crude confidence builder.

For the actual shooting test, I'd recommend finding an "easy" metering
situation -- the kind where you'd trust the OM-1's meter without question.
Start in auto mode.  Shoot your "normal" shot, then use the exposure comp
dial to bracket 2/3 to 1 full stop each way.  Switch to Manual/Spot and
meter the same scene.  Set your normal exposure and then shoot brackets
again.  Note exposure data for all exposures.

Results after development will tell you what you need to know about the OTF
meter and whether the display meter is in sync with those results.

>I suspect that the program mode might be up the swanny, as there appears
to be little
>difference between program and AE modes. I.E. even in poor light the lens
appears to shut
>down to minimum f-stop, thus causing longish exposures. I would expect the
program mode
>to be a compromise between shutter and aperture. So far I have only run a
dummy film
>through.
>
>How would I test all modes, under normal daylight conditions.
>
>regards
>
>David Low
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\home\apps\eudorablue\attach\ghb043.vcf"

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA