Re: [OM] Spot metering technique I understand

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot metering technique I understand
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:30:34 +1000
George S. wrote:

>I understand you don't want any flames, and please don't take this as such,

I don't mind flames so much - especially on topic.... discussion of
different methods, styles, usages etc I enjoy...<g>

>but so many different people use the 4/4Ti in so many different ways, that
>whatever works for each one of us is the "correct" way. I, personally, use
>the multi-spot feature the most. To me it's just easier than figuring:
>"How many stops over or under should I go from that ONE spot meter reading
or
>from the center-weighted reading that I just took?"

Fair enough; when I shoot, I don't use a meter without thinking in terms of
eighteen percent grey and the relative value of what I'm metering - I don't
mean to say anything else is incorrect - I was simply suggesting my possible
alternative with my reasoning

>Many others might say
>there's an "easier" way for them, that's fine. I just got into the habit of
>going- bang,bang,bang with the spot readings on the areas I need to expose
>properly.

If it works, brilliant - to my way of thinking, the original example just
seemed a little slow, and hit-and-miss - if it's generally hits and few (or
no) misses in your experience, I'll remember that - I'm still relatively new
to the OM4, not so new to spot-metering, and relative reflected brightness
readings and ranges

>I see multi-spot metering as a wonderful tool, not overkill. But whatever
you
>use is the right way for you, maybe you would be happier with that EOS 3, I
>dunno.

<laugh> not just yet - I think it's interesting the latest Canon has a spot
metering system similar to OM's as well as the latest whizz-bang
matrixhoneycombsegment thingy - a sort of vindication of part of Maitani's
philisophy, if you will - just a pity Oly hasn't gone further with it.  I
also meant the use of several spots in that particular situation seemed
excessive - I find it priceless in others

>I don't use the hilight/shadow buttons hardly at all, and, yes there IS
[sic]
>another couple of ways the exposure dance *could* be done, but why lose
sleep
>over it, (not saying you are) and just enjoy ? !

Oh I do enjoy - but at the same time I'd like to be confident I can meter a
scene quickly and accurately - so I'm thinking about, discussing and trying
different approaches - metering is not the _most_ enjoyable part of
photography to me, after all - I just want to get it out of the way...

Sorry if I offended you originally (or subsequently), George

Cheers

Andy