Re: [OM] [OT] E-6 Chemistry Question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] E-6 Chemistry Question
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:32:59 -0400
I refered to Kodak's "Using Process E-6" manual (Kodak publication Z-119).
>From your description, it sound like scum or dirt on the film.  The probable
causes are:

Stabilizer requires replacement (at least once/week)
Filters in recirculation system require replacement (at least once/week)
Stabilizer recirculating system entraining air
Air filters in drying system need changing
Dirt in other solutions.  Use floating covers on tanks and replenisher
solutions whenever possible.
Stabilizer too concentrated.

Given these possibilities, my guess is something was wrong in the stabilizer
step.

In reading the details of various processing methods (dip & dunk,
continuious processors, tube processing) it is important to know what the
processing method is.  For example, in rack and tank (dip & dunk)
processing, if the bleach and fixer steps use air burst agitation; the
developers use nitrogen.  Kodak further specifies the air for the bleach
step must be oil free.  A thin film of oil scum could be the problem here.
Or, because the air burst evaporates the bleach more quickly than other
solutions, the bleach level may have been too low.

Clearly the Great Yellow Father screwed up something.  If I can answer any
more questions or supply detailed E-6 info, please ask.  And my condolences
for them messing up your work.

John P
South Carolina   USA