[OM] [OT] E-6 Chemistry Question

Subject: [OM] [OT] E-6 Chemistry Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 09:21:18 +0000
*Finally* got a 120 strip of E100VS back yesterday that had been lost by
Kodak since July 6th when it was sent to them in one of their mailers.  All
this stuff is *supposed* to be processed in Fairlawn, NJ, now.  Somehow it
found its way to a Kodak lab in Rockford, MD.

The worst part is the emulsion side looks like it is partially coated
(about 2/3 of the strip wide, all the way down) with a translucent, light
gray substance with a pale brown tint.  Makes all the transparencies look
as if I had used a grad filter of truly *ugly* pale yellow-brown.  Looking
at the other side I can see *zero* light fogging of the exposures
themselves.  Frame edges are razor sharp as are the frame numbers and
arrows; no light fogging anywhere.

Now I am having a hassle with Kodak over the film.  Their first response on
the phone yesterday was I somehow light fogged the roll and it is now
escalating to people beyond the drones that answer their phones.  I know
little about E-6 chemistry, but suspect they left something in one of their
baths on the film without washing it off.  All the colors are present (no
color layer seems missing or damaged) and appear balanced.  From the
emulsion side, it looks like if it were possible to get this coating off,
the transparencies would be OK.

Does anyone know enough about E-6 chemistry (and its failure modes) to give
me a clue as to what they did wrong in the processing so I can talk more
intelligently with Kodak about what they did?

Thanks,
-- John