Re: [OM] ...loupe basics 101...

Subject: Re: [OM] ...loupe basics 101...
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 14:10:52 EDT

> Dear Z & Z's,
>  Appreciate your patience in advance....
>
>  I bought a cheapo 10X loupe..... How do U use a loupe to analyse a pic ?
>  What specifically do U look out for ?
>
>  Do pple use lopues to look at 3R sized printed photos ?
>
>  So if U are using a 4X to look at a 35mm slide, does it indicate what U
will
>  get when the slide is printed to a magazine sized pic ?
>
>  TMLee

I use my 8x loupe (cheapie) to see how far I can blow up a slide. I can't see
(or my eyes) enought detail in a 4x to find out how far I can blow it up. The
8x requires panning around the slide however to see the whole thing.

As far as using a loupe to look at 3R (whoops hit <Ctl-S> by mistake, sorry)
and 4R prints, it depends on how accurately the machine printer is focused. I
was able to compare the Zuiko 300/4.5 to a Tokina 300/5.6 using Ektar 25 (the
long gone and lamented emulsion) and found additional detail and was able to
see grain using a loupe.  [BTW, the Zuiko came out on top until about f8
where both evened out but Zuiko was still a touch ahead in resolution.]  But
I don't think most machine processors focus their machines that well. I think
4x is the minimum magnification usuable to judge 8x10 prints--it all may be a
function of your eyes as well. Try projecting the slides also.

Warren