Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out w...
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:06:06 +0800
You could well be right.  Perhaps Ti would not protect the innards of a 4Ti
much better than brass.  However I think it would.  Leaving aside the use
of Ti as armour on tanks and in the A10 aircraft, I have two pairs of
glasses with Ti frames.  The frames are both over 10 years old now and they
had a lifetime waranty when I purchased them.  They have recieved quite a
bit of abuse over the years and it doesn't look like I will ever get to try
out the warranty.

I believe the main circuit  for the 3 and 4Ti is just underneath  the top
cover.  The same goes for a Nikon FG, only it has a plastic top cover which
when impacted, deforms and smashes the circuit.  The same goes for the
electrical connections and stuff underneath  the bottom cover (also
plastic)  of the FG.  A 20-30cm fall onto gravel, impacting the bottom
plate, was enough to kill my FG.  It might sound as if I am careless with
my cameras but  the top cover damage was inflicted by someone I lent it to.
Mea Culpa for the second minor fall.

I am glad to say I have not dropped my 4Ti, and hope I never do.  However,
I recall a little while ago when this argument about the pointlesness of Ti
cropped up someone related how their 4Ti fell on to a road from a moving
truck and proceeded to work flawlessly for the next 10 years.

I have no argument about the ruggedness of older OM's at all, I just think
Ti is  icing on the cake and an obvious extension of Olympus' efforts to
build a tough and reliable camera.

Giles