Re: [OM] (another) Gearhead alert---Sydney this time

Subject: Re: [OM] (another) Gearhead alert---Sydney this time
From: "imagineero ." <imagineero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:17:50 PDT
I used to live in sydney myself (I am an aussie), but thesedays I am living in Korea with my wife who is Korean. It was a real shock for me to travel overseas after paying the ridiculously overinflated sydney camera prices. I have generally found that new gear is half price in most parts of the world compared to sydney with 2nd hand being 1/4 to 1/3rd. Korea is incredibly cheap particularly on medium format and pro 35mm gear (Nikon and Canon primarily).

If you are unfortunate enough (camera wise) to live in Sydney check out Grace's camera's in Kings Cross. It's only 10 minutes walk from Town Hall or 1 minute from Kings Cross station. They usually have good prices on 2nd hand gear, though being a licensed pawn shop and in the Kings Cross area it's a fair bet that 700f their gear is nicked. Still, if you don't have a guilty conscience about it drop in. The guys there give good trade ins too... Good luck and happy hunting!

With the spreading of the good word in mind, I found yesterday that my
favourite source of Oly gear in Sydney (under the Hilton hotel between
George and Pitt Streets) has re-opened after having vacated the premises for
a year at least... and he had 35-80/2.8, 35 shift, 65-200/4 Zuiks in the
window, as well as several 28/35/50/135 type lengths.

I've never seen the 35-80 before, and was expecting it to be heavier, but
there you go.  It was marked at $1600 [all prices AUD], but he offered it
for $1500, and could probably be talked down a little more, I guess.  It
looked clean, but I didn't inspect it fully, as I was in a bit of a hurry.
I can't justify the difference in price over my lovely $350 Tokina
equivalent, but thought someone might be interested.

The shift was a first for me too - the one thing that I guess might be nice
on such a lens would be a geared shift mechanism, instead of the more
imprecise sliding sections - of course I might have been mishandling the
poor thing, and it may work brilliantly in practice, but that was my
impression, having been in 7th heaven using geared movements on large
format.  It was marked $790, if memory serves.  He also had a 24/2 at a
similar price, and recently sold a 21/2, which made me wince and wish I'd
checked if the store had re-opened earlier...