Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"

Subject: Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:42:03 EDT
<< The LED meter on the MX has well known reliability
 problems.  They're failing all over the world now.  Not so for the needle
 on the KX, it just keeps working.  The meter type, and availability of good
 MF new lenses was my main reason for buying into Olympus >>

I tend to agree, aesthetically I like meters over LEDS except when fairly
dark!

But I was thinking the other day that it probably won't be too long before
our OM2S LCDS start failing while the OM10's LEDS will probably keep on going
(if greasy shutter magnets don't happen). One nice thing about the LEDS is
that it is probably easier to get a substitute for repair purposes. Often LED
failures are a result poor sealing as the encapsulation material has to be
transparent and is not nearly as good a sealant as the  black potting
material used for ics. This is particularly true after overheating in
soldering say, as the material seperates from the die and leads and then
moisture tracks back slowly and kills the device especially in a small
package.

Regards,
Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx