Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"??

Subject: Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"??
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Chris Barker wrote:

:This week's Amateur Photographer has an article about 3 "classic" camera by
:Joel Lacy.  The 3 cameras were a Spotmatic F, an FTb-QL and a Nikkormat EL.
:Despite the fact that there was no OM in a line-up of "classics" I read the
:article with varying degrees of interest.  Lacy's conclusion was
:interesting: after he had said the the Pent** had the best meter, he
:quipped that it had been instructive to use a swinging meter needle instead
:of an LED (perhaps he meant LCD) to indicate light levels etc...

Could be either, although LED sounds right. Three LEDs in the finder, one
lighting a red "+" for overexposure, a red "-" for underexposure, and both
lit for correct exposure as determined by the meter (which may or may not
correspond with what you want). Or, green "0" LED instead of both the plus
and minus LEDs being lit. The Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and Nikon FM2n both
have this, both cameras I considered at one time.

:This idea found favour with me.  Should the OM List not exclude all those
:who do not use swinging needles for, say, 300f their photography - not
:OM3s or 4s.  This would mean that there would be less to go wrong with the
:cameras on the List if they were dropped in salt water, that there would be
:no fruitless discussions about "Hilite" or "Shadow" buttons.

Could be. I have no experience with the "hilite" and "shadow" buttons, but
surely one can do the same with the exp. comp dial, or, instead of the
exp. comp dial, manually change shutter or aperture. The needle meter in
the OM1 is marked off to indicate +/- 1/2 stop and +/- 1 stop. If you need
a wider range the ASA dial can do the same.

:It might also mean that we could indulge a purer form of OM fanaticism:
:Zuikoholism, because the cameras we used would be reduced to mere film
:carriers and lens mounts.

For a retro ADITL, perhaps, but I don't see this happening. Unless it's
for purely personal and aesthetic reasons, it seems like most prefer the
higher OM bodies (just my observation; nothing about generalizations
please!)

:Go on ... tell me what you think: especially if you think that I'm serious.

I did. George, what do you think about this for ADITL4 in the spring
solstice? Olaf I think, has already proposed the bokeh-fest for ADITL3
winter equinox.

(i may have confused equinox/solstice; it's 0040PDT--oh, 9 minutes late,
but happy solstice to all (1131 UTC on 23/9/99, yes?)

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
at spes non fracta