[OM] Using a flatbed scanner for slides

Subject: [OM] Using a flatbed scanner for slides
From: Steve Goss <steveg3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:26:26 -0500
HI y'all-

A couple of days ago someone mentioned trying to project slides onto a
scanner.  Well, I tried it last night and was not very successful.
My son needed a picture of the whole family that he could take to Mother's Day
out and use in a craft project.  We had one picture taken this summer at the
garden of the gods in Colorado, (OM2n on a tripod [OM content]) but it was a
slide, and all I have is a flat bed scanner.  So...
First, I put the scanner on it's side with the lid open, and used my Kodak
Carousel projector to project an image onto the glass.  I wasn't sure if I had
the focus correct, but figured that I could adjust it with some preview scans.
First off, the the slide image was backwards (because the scanner is looking a
different direction).  Second, the image was very dim, except in a straight
line from the projector to the scanner, where there was a large white blob.  I
tried projecting at an angle, but that did not help much.
Next, I tried disconnecting the lamp.  All I got was an error message on the
screen saying that the lamp was disconnected or burned out.
Next, I tried with the lamp on, and without the glass.  At first, I got still
more error messages, until I put a piece of paper over the scan head at the
very beginning of the run.  It seems that the first thing a scanner does is
calibrate itself, and mine, a Microtek Scanmaker v310 calibrates itself by
pulling the scan head back beyond the glass and scanning the inside of the
case.  With the piece of paper to fool the calibration, still nothing.
Finally, I put the scanner back together, laid the slides on the glass, and lit
them with the light from the projector.  I removed the projector lens, and held
the projector about a foot above the slide.  Varying the position and angle of
the projector made some difference in the quality of the scan.  It ranged from
terrible, to awfull, to not bad except for the way overexposed parts.
I ended up taking the best of the sad bunch and spending a lot of time with
Micrographix Photo Magic to make it semi-presentable.  Then I printed it on my
old HP color deskjet, which did not help the quality of the picture in any way.

So, how much do photo CD's cost?

Steve Goss, Dallas TX
steveg3@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.flash.net/~steveg3/    <-- All images by OM1n or OM2n