[OM] Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs

Subject: [OM] Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:10:18 EDT
In several messages george and Acer wrote:

> :>It's all in the false sense of safety the behemoth vehicles have (wrongly
>  :>so; they MAY fare better in a crash IF they are built to car safety
>  :>standards, which they are not as they are truck based and thus exempt),
>  :>but sedans/wagons etc are MORE nimble, and thus are actively able to
>AVOID an accident instead of faring better IN one (IF the SUV had the same
> safe build of sedans in terms of body type (unit, ladder, etc).

>Spared of any injury? Depends on the type of accident. Sedans have long
had properly designed and engineered crumple zones to take up impact
energy. SUVs often have a unit-body construction (I think that's what it's
called...or is it ladder? Not sure on terminology). In a hard enough
collision, most of the shock is tranferred to the passenger cabin.

This is extremely off-topic, but I couldn't resist commenting since this is
somewhat in my area of expertise as having 26 years of accident investigation.
Many comments with regard to SUV's are true, but many are also false and
widely believed by the public.

You are NOT automatically safer in a crash if you drive an SUV. What is true,
is the fact that you will probably transmit more energy to the smaller
vehicle, exposing those occupants to injury. I believe the Ford Excursion
weighs in excess of 6000 pounds. Most cars are uni-body constructed as are
the smaller SUVs- Rav4, etc. There are several variations of "full frame" or
"ladder frame" construction which are more sturdy. This is found on all
pickup trucks.
SUVs are many times more likely to roll over in a collision. And, no, not
only from the driver jerking the wheel to avoid a crash, but even more likely
from the after-crash forces on the vehicle. (side impact, striking a curb,
etc.). Many SUV drivers have a false sense of safely and therefore don't
bother to belt themselves in, making them VERY likely to be injured. Also-
whether rolling over or not, even from a relatively low-impact crash, a
frequent cause of injury is the driver's head striking the door frame or the
"A" or"B" pillar of any vehicle, even in an SUV. Just look at the Chevy
Blazer's numbers on head injuries and severity of injury and you'll get some
sobering mumbers. You may be safer in a car!
(this is representative, and is true not only for the Chevy).
"Nimbleness"- This VERY RARELY comes into play in a crash. You usually don't
have much time for the difference in nimbleness of two vehicles to come into
play. The condition of the driver is more important. Most common comment
after a crash- "There was nothing I could do to avoid the accident." Driving
a beemer does not automatically make you safer because you can avoid a crash.

Regards,
George S.