Re: [OM] Exotic leather

Subject: Re: [OM] Exotic leather
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:37:27 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/99 1:22:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I do not know about Zebra skin but I think ostrich skin would
 come into that category in many countries.
 Brian Gray >>

Ostrich leather is really common in South Africa : they are bred in captivity
just as they are here in the US. The meat is often cheaper than beef in the
stores. I don't believe there is any restriction on ostrich leather  from a
cites point of view .  However catch 22, hides from Africa that are not
really well tanned are restricted for import because of concern over foot and
mouth disease. So you might not have to worry about Cites for many types of
hide but you still might have problems talking your way round foot and mouth
concerns. I have an exotic hide camera bag that I have had for many years but
I never take it outside the US now as I probably could not get it back in.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx