RE: [OM] :-) I got my 500/8 mirror...

Subject: RE: [OM] :-) I got my 500/8 mirror...
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:02:41 +0200
Hi,

> Yes and yes...the scratch is on the underside of the front element and
> towards the centre. As I'm a newbie on the list, could you please
> explain the sins Olaf commited against his Zuikos, that I don't emulate
> them?

Hmmm, a most funny message after returning from Paris :(

More seriously though, let me elaborate a little: actually, "Olaf" once
damaged the 2nd element of a 300/4.5 (a cheapie at $150 because of some very
slight fungus, which is what I was trying to remove when the element got
damaged).

However, in this case I'm quite positive Giles referred to a recent deal I
was about to make to trade a 100/2 against a 500/8. The deal fell through
because the 100/2 turned out to have 3 very, very tiny cleaning scratches on
the front element which I didn't notice in the store, just my luck :(

Ah well, in the end I'm probably not so bad off, as the 100/2 is a lovely
portrait lens. I already picked up the first pictures and this lens has two
words written all over it: "sharp" and "bokeh".

Even the portraits I took at f2.8 (which according to Gary's lens test page
is one of the apertures at which lens performance is the worst) are tack
sharp and reveal all skin imperfections. It is so sharp that you can count
the individual hairs of the model on a 10x15 CM print!

I can't wait to take some pictures at f4, which is the aperture at which the
A grades start...:)))

> I'm anxious to give my lens that "good clean" I was talking about. Though
> guess it doesn't matter too much if a damage this lens since it was so
> cheap....;-)

Well, whatever you do, do it with care!
I found that that 2nd element (of the 300/4.5) chipped really easily (this
is also confirmed by John Hermanson), so take good care with that.

Also, I expect the 500/8 to have a complex design, maybe it would be best to
leave the repair up to someone who has experience with these lenses...

Either way, congratulations with your acquisition, it's one of the lenses I
want pretty badly and what you payed for it really was nothing! :)))

Cheers!
Olafo